Tuesday, August 18, 2009

2009-2010 Year About to Begin!

Hello all.

I hope you had a productive and restful summer. I just got back from the Falcone Festival this morning and trying to get ahead of the game. It was a fun-filled, productive summer for me. My family and I took a 3 week vacation through northeast Canada, Maine, New Hampshire and New York in june putting 4,000 plus miles on the car (and a got a few good photos). I then taught for 2 weeks at Interlochen's Allstate Program. Upon returning from their I taught a 5-hour-a-day graduate brass tech course for 9 days, and then went to adjudicate, perform and help run the 24th annual Leonard Falcone International Euphonium and Tuba Festival. Whew! Now for the "new year."
Here are some details for you to know:
1. Lesson sign up sheet is on my board - please use PENCIL to sign up!!!
1a. Lessons - double check the message board in front of my office if you are not sure what lesson number (177 or 178) or how much time (1/2 hour vs. 1 hour) you are supposed to be sign up for.
2. I have received a few key requests from the tuba players. You will need to go to Scott Burgess to get the request started. Euphonium players, you do NOT need to do the key request, just get a large locker.
3. STUDIO PARTY - Thursday, 27 August at my house. We will start around 5:00 pm. If you have marching band, just come out when it is done. Don't look for the barn when you get out there, it is GONE. Only dirt and grass where it used to be. Also, no alcohol (!) - just a reminder.
4. Band audition. You need to sign up for band auditions on the bulletin board across from the faculty mailboxes. Please do it soon. And pick music you can play well. Usually 2 contrasting works, or a work with 2 contrasting sections.
5. CF Auditions,
- Auditions will be on 28 August (Friday) with a couple of audition times (more on the way about that).
- Music for the audition will be Wabash Cannonball, Salvation is Created, and Power (of course).
- New twist: you will have to give a 3-5 minute presentation on the history of their instrument. Gear the discussion to 8th
graders.
- Auditions are open to ALL studio members SOPHOMORE and above.
- There are two spots available - 1 euphonium and 1 tuba
- For the audition, I will be playing the opposite part (if you audition on tuba, I will be playing euphonium)
- If I deem that there is no one capable of playing one of the parts, then I will take it over for the semester.
6. Studio Class - we will meet (without the freshmen) on 25 August in room 218. NO INSTRUMENTS.
7. Freshmen - you have a meeting on 25th August at 11:00 am and will not be at the first studio class.


I think that is it for now. I will be in and out of the office for the rest of the week. If you need something, please stop and knock. See all of you soon,

Dr. Cox

PS - If you are looking for my car, the Audi is no longer with us. Thank you "Cash for Clunkers." I now own, and sometimes drive, a new 2010, black Honda Insight (hybred). From smog to smug in one signature.

No comments: