Thursday, January 6, 2011

News on Dan Turchyn

Studio,
After an email from the Chair of the Department at Oakland University, I just found out tonight "officially" that Dan Turchyn has transferred to Oakland University. I know some of you had heard rumors about this last month, but the first I heard about this was only a couple of days ago, and unfortunately, from a couple of your colleagues and not from Dan, himself. This leaves us in a couple of awkward situations. Central Foundation is in need of a new player. The group is supposed to be performing at MWRTEC on a 1/2 concert. I will let you know VERY soon what my decision will be about this group. The Brass Band will also be in need of a new player. I would be willing to move people around (ex: baritone to euphonium) and/or add another person into the group. Let me know if you want to join or change instruments. I told Professor Williamson about this possibility yesterday. He will make his own decisions as what to do about seating arrangements in the major ensembles.

It is unfortunate that I found out about Dan leaving this way. I would hope, with all of you, if you were not to return to CMU, you would do me the courtesy of informing me when/if you were to make that decision. I never want a student to stay with me, or at CMU, if they are unhappy. I would not be upset --saddened, probably...but not upset. I obviously want to work with all of you, because I invited you to join me in the studio here at CMU. I know last semester was unfortunate and odd with Sarah being diagnosed with cancer (and with all my trips to Grand Rapids because of that). It was not the best semester of teaching that I have ever done. Obviously the health of my daughter trumped many things. I will say that when I come back in the fall, I will be refreshed and look forward to a great semester working with all of you.

Thank you and I hope you have a wonderful semester.
Dr. Cox

No comments: